Advising & Consulting
Whether it’s a one-time gig or a long term working relationship, I advise, consult, and generally educate a variety of professionals behind the scenes. For example:
- Consultant & Strategist, Transgender Health Program for hospital in San Francisco
- Health Across the Gender Spectrum, Coursera Course by Stanford Medical
- The Diversity Style Guide, Center for Integration and Improvement of Journalism at San Francisco State University
- When No Gender Fits, The Washington Post
New opportunities? Talk to me.
Workshops and Trainings
I’ve developed training for medical professionals on a range of topics, from basic trans 101 to trans adolescents to nonbinary transition (my favorite, of course). I present my own workshops at national transgender conferences such as Gender Odyssey (2012-2016), Philadelphia Trans Health (2012, 2013, 2016), and Gender Spectrum (2012, 2013).
- Explaining Genderqueer To Those Who Are Not, Huffington Post, 2016
- Don’t Dismiss Me For Being Genderqueer, Huffington Post, 2015
- What the Ruby Rose Obsession Misses About “Gender Fluid” Lives, The Advocate, 2015
- These 5 Myths Might Be Holding You Back From Non-Binary Transition, Everyday Feminism, 2015
- The Gender Playbook: A Guide to Figuring Out Your Non-Binary Identity, Everyday Feminism, 2015
- No Transition Template, NY Times Transgender Today, June 2015
- Non-Binary Anthology, Co-Editor; Columbia University Press, 2019
- Manning Up: Transsexual Men on Finding Brotherhood, Family and Themselves, chapter; Transgress Press, 2013
- Trans Bodies, Trans Selves: A Resource For the Transgender Community, short essay; Oxford University Press, 2015
A non-exhaustive list of articles, documentaries, interviews, photoseries for which I’ve been interviewed.
- Three To Infinity: Documentary on Non-Binary Gender
- New York Times Magazine: Redefining Gender in Mexico City (also in Spanish)
- Radio Ambulante: Finding the Words radio interview in Spanish (listen/watch with English subtitles), or the English transcript.
- Psychology Today: None of the Above
- Photography series by Chloe Aftel, featured in Refinery29, Vocativ, Feature Shoot, PolicyMic, HuffPo, among others
- Desastre México: ¿Qué es la asexualidad? Así es la vida sin atracción sexual
- L’Hebdo Magazine: Le troisième genre transcende les codes masculins et féminins
- Wysokieobcasy (Poland): Genderqueer: Nie ona. Nie on. Osoba
- Women’s Health: 3 People Define Their Gender Fluidity
- Refinery29: I Want To Support My Trans* Best Friend — But I’m Not Sure How!
- The Morning News: The T-Word
- Vanity Fair (Italia): Non sono né donna, né uomo
- San Francisco Magazine: The Shadow Sex
- Huffington Post: Asexuality: The ‘X’ In A Sexual World, 6 part series on Asexuality
- Huffington Post Live: Love Without Sex (LIVE)
- Huffington Post Live: Asexuality ‘Just Another Spectrum In Sexuality,’ Dating Just Requires Communication (VIDEO)
- NY Mag, The Cut: Neither Man Nor Woman: Meet the Agender
- The Frisky: “Agender”: Neither Man Nor Woman, But Definitely Fabulous
- The Frisky: Some Transgender Kids Have It More Figured Out Than The Rest Of Us
If you’d like to featured my story or a consultation to learn about sensitive coverage of transgender identities, please get in touch and include all relevant information about yourself as a journalist, the publication, and the article in question.